Welcome to River Pines Horse Sanctuary...
An organization dedicated to providing forever homes to abandoned, abused and neglected horses. We specialize in accepting horses with social and/or emotional rehabilitation issues. We provide a natural, herd-based living environment offering safety, health enhancement, companionship and play for horses in need.
When appropriate, our horses then assist in teaching human development, social and emotional intelligence skills, nature immersion and basic natural horsemanship for children and adults of all ages. Many of our horses also participate in providing community service opportunities for at-risk youths, assisting in developing knowledge and equine-based skills.
They assist in increasing community awareness through our service projects such as volunteer opportunities, equine skill-based internships and mentoring opportunities. We also provide opportunities for horse husbandry and equine management programs for disadvantaged and at-risk youth on an individual basis.
River Pines Horse Sanctuary offers mentoring programs for local high school Senior Projects. Seniors may learn about the business-end of rescues and sanctuaries, rescued horses, equine care and management, natural horsemanship and equine science.
We accept donations such as hay, grain, grooming tools, winter blankets for small to extra-large horses, and cash, checks, visa, master-card and other gift cards for daily maintenance and feed, medical emergencies, humane euthanasia, shelter creation and maintenance, fencing materials and more in order to provide and care for these amazing animals.
Monetary donations and volunteer help are especially appreciated!
To rescue horses and ponies, mules and burros, to include all equine species, from endangerment through neglect, physical and emotional abuse and/or abandonment and to provide a permanent, end of life sanctuary for said equine animals.
1. To provide permanent residence, to promote optimum physical health and emotional rehabilitation to highest potential for individual horses
2. To offer optimum re-socialization skills for each horse based on their individual experiences and history
3. To provide opportunities of mutual benefit through interaction with children and adults participating in Equine Facilitated Learning activities, natural horsemanship, equine husbandry and management skills, Community Service for at-risk youth and mentoring and internship programs when appropriate for each individual horse
Our execution of purpose will be based on a foundation of optimum health and safety for our rescued equines, staff, volunteers, interns and mentees while cultivating the highest possible outcome for the animals; providing educational and training opportunities for said equines, staff, volunteers, interns and mentees, to include raising community awareness through our many programs.
Our core values are: optimal health, safety and socialization for the horses; to ensure dignity and respect for each individual animal; to use mindfulness in every interaction with each horse; and finally, to cultivate each horse’s potential through natural and respectful training methods. All of these values will be based on and updated with the most current equine science.
Our Guiding Philosophy:
Based on scientific research measuring brain activity, all mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds and other species are now considered to be sentient beings similar to humans. Recent studies have shown neural transmitter responses similar to humans in all species when they are exposed to experiences of attachment, fear, separation, play and more. Everything with an amygdale and limbic system experience the same emotional responses to the environment as do humans. Therefore, we believe each individual animal deserves the same respect and dignity we offer our human companions.
Through mutual respect, appropriate training and play we can educate and train consensual leadership skills, mutual aid, community building and sustainable lifestyle skills, and optimal physical and emotional health for all who participate here.
- Safety is a primary focus for all horses and humans.
- Authenticity, individuality, authentic community and consensual leadership are our core values.
- All are welcome, regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation or challenges of body or mind.
- Nature and the environment are to be treated with respect and consideration.