• Read this guide
provided by the Humane Society of United States:
• If you are choosing to buy a young horse age 0-3, buy from a breeder.
• Choose a breeder who belongs to the Humane Society’s Responsible Breeders List
(pdf download). These breeders are committed to the well being of the horses they have bred and sold as well as being committed to keeping them out of rescues and sanctuaries.
• Choose a breeder who only breeds a few babies a year and guarantees the quality and temperament of their horses.
• Choose a trainer before you buy a young horse to ensure you will one day get the mount you want.
• Make sure you have time. Horses are more time consuming than most pets.
• Maintain contact with the breeder you bought your horse from. Send an occasional photo, ask questions and take an annual tour to see what they are up to.
• This is a place to start – a piece of a bigger solution. Together we can greatly reduce the need for rescues and sanctuaries if we start at the beginning.